Quicken 2011 Release Notes
Updated: 4/20/2015 | Article ID: GEN83031
Before you update
If you use online account services (transaction download or bill pay), please verify that you have completed all previous online sessions before you update Quicken. To do this:
- From the Tools menu, choose Online Center.
- Click Update/Send. If your last online session was not complete, you'll see a message that reads: "Your last online session was not completed. Quicken will now try to complete this previous connection. After it is done, you can send your new request."
- Click OK to complete your previous connection. Once the connection is complete, you can continue with your Quicken update.
- We recommend closing all other applications prior to running the Quicken update.
R8 Release Notes
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where transfers initiated on a bank web site were being incorrectly entered as a new transfer request in Quicken.
- Fixed. We fixed a problem where online transfers were not being entered correctly in the Quicken destination account.
- Improved. We enhanced our online error messages to provide additional guidance.
- Fixed. We resolved a problem related to selecting file attachments for accounts and transactions.
- Fixed. We fixed an issue where Quicken would not cut transactions from the register when more than one transaction was selected.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where Quicken would not delete transactions from the register when more than one transaction was selected.
- Improved. We clarified the messaging in Schedule C reports to provide more detail regarding why transactions may not be found when using the default Schedule C report settings.
R6 & R7 Combined Release Notes
- Improved. We improved the account matching logic in Quicken that identifies your existing account when changing the connection method between Quicken and your financial institution.
- Fixed. We fixed a crash that occurred at the One Step Update Summary window when updating your information on Quicken.com.
- Fixed. We fixed an issue where upcoming Repeating Online Payments disappeared from Calendar.
- Fixed. We resolved a problem where payee names appeared twice in the payee field after downloading transactions.
- Improved. We updated the tax-deductible mileage rates for Tax Year 2011.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where transactions that were assigned to a deleted category didn’t appear on the Spending tab as uncategorized transactions. If you see this occur in your own data file, choose File > File Operations > Validate and Repair, and then choose Validate file.
- Fixed. We corrected a problem where Quicken didn’t remember the folder location of your last backup.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the Calendar displayed unreadable characters for the running balance.
Reports and Graphs
- Fixed. We corrected an issue that prevented tax-free securities from appearing on the Capital Gains and the Schedule D report.
- Fixed. We resolved a problem where Quicken lost focus after deleting a category.
- Improved. We updated the tax rates in the Quicken Tax Planner to reflect the current rates published by the IRS.
- Improved. We added support for importing TurboTax 2010 data files.
- Fixed. We resolved a defect where updates to your budget were not being saved.
- Fixed. We resolved a problem in the Security Detail window where the Daily Volumes graph would not display any data.
- Fixed. We fixed an issue where the Portfolio Value report displayed the wrong number of shares for a stock split.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the Quicken Help window would not display correctly when a dialog was minimized.
R5 Release Notes
- Improved. We’ve made it easier to find your Quicken backup files. First, choose File menu > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File.
- If you are looking for a backup that you made, click the Browse button. Quicken now displays the contents of your most recently used backup directory.
- If you are looking for a backup that Quicken created for you automatically, click the Open backup file button, or choose an automatic backup file from the list in the window.
- Improved. The Validate and Repair utility now detects and repairs data damage related to category groups as well as incorrect usage of the _RlzdGain category. Think about running the utility if you see inconsistencies in the value or cost basis of your securities in reports and the Portfolio View. Choose File menu > File Operations > Validate and Repair to run the utility.
- Improved. Quicken now prompts you to copy your data file when opening it from a compressed Zip file.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where Quicken would incorrectly ask for confirmation twice when overwriting an existing file during a file restore.
- Fixed. When you choose Tools menu > Write and Print Checks, Quicken now opens the Write Checks window of the most recently used spending account register.
- Improved. The Validate and Repair utility now rebuilds your investment lots, deletes your investing price history, and resets your Quicken printing settings. If you are having problems printing from Quicken, try running the utility. Choose File menu > File Operations > Validate and Repair, and then choose Reset all Quicken printer settings.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where voided transactions incorrectly displayed in the Spending tab.
- Fixed. We corrected a problem where the CTRL+M key combination didn’t memorize transactions in the All Transactions register.
- Fixed. The Category picker no longer automatically drops down when you are editing a category or an amount in the Split window.
- Fixed. We resolved a problem where business logos were not being printed on business invoices.
- Improved. We corrected a problem in the layout of Microsoft Excel compatible report files.
- Fixed. We corrected an issue where graph legends would overwrite the graph itself when printing in portrait mode.
- Improved. We added back the ability to create a payee report from the Memorized Payee list. To do so, select a payee in the list, then click the report icon at the right of the highlighted line.
- New. We created a message to let you know if your screen resolution is too low to display Quicken features well.
- Fixed. On computer systems with multiple monitors attached, we resolved an issue where some Quicken messages displayed on the wrong monitor.
- Fixed. We corrected a number of screen refresh issues in Quicken.
- Improved. We restored the Loan Summary snapshot to the list of snapshots that can be added to the Quicken Home tab. Click Customize at the top of the Quicken Home tab to add the snapshot.
- Improved. We added the ability to select accounts in the “In/Out/What’s Left” snapshot on the Quicken Home tab. Click Options in the snapshot to select the accounts.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where Security Detail View would incorrectly minimize itself during a quote download.
- Fixed. We improved the performance of Portfolio View when the Gain/Loss 1-Month, Gain/Loss 3-Month, or Gain/Loss 12-Month column is displayed.
- Improved. We added a clock icon in the Quote/Price column in Portfolio View for securities that have not had a quote/price update during the day.
- Fixed. We resolved a Fund Category Rank sorting issue in Portfolio View.
- Fixed. We corrected a Portfolio View problem where the Average Annual Total Return column didn’t display values on the Historic Performance view.
- Improved. We reworked the user interface in the Assign Category Group window when removing categories from a category group.
- Fixed. We identified and corrected a memory issue related to the Lifetime Planner.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the “traffic signal” indicator in the Lifetime Planner didn’t update after making changes to your plan.
- Fixed. We corrected a problem where editing a split transaction caused the Projected Balances graph to display reminders twice.
Bill and Income Reminders
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where loans that had been paid off were still displaying a reminder in the Bill and Income Reminders list.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where clicking See Projected Balances from the Stay on Top of Monthly Bills snapshot on the Home tab didn’t display the correct date range.
- Improved. We fixed a problem where a Quicken 2011 data file took longer to open and navigate to features than the same data file did in Quicken 2010.
- Improved. If you compare and accept transactions into your register after a download, Quicken now retains the currently selected transaction when clicking on the Hide/Show Accepted transactions button.
- Improved. Quicken is now more accurate when it matches existing Quicken accounts to accounts that are found when enabling online banking in Quicken.
- New. We added an Update Now command to the Account Actions menu in the registers of Web Connect accounts. This gives you the ability to directly access your bank website to download transaction and balance data into Web Connect accounts.
- Improved. If you compare and accept transactions into your register after a download, you can now sort downloaded transactions by date. To do so, just click the Date column header.
- Fixed. Quicken now removes Quicken.com errors from One Step Update if you are not using Quicken.com features.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where some online banking errors were listed twice in the One Step Update Summary window.
- Fixed. We corrected an issue where adding a password to the Password Vault didn’t update One Step Update with the new password.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue that caused One Step Update to take 8-10 seconds to open.
- Fixed. We resolved some screen refresh issues when opening reports in Quicken.
- New. We added a new Spending by Itemized Tag report to the Reports menu. Choose Reports menu > Spending > Itemized by Tag to take a look at it.
R4 Release Notes
- Fixed. We resolved a screen refresh issue in Compare to Register when the Done button was clicked while in register pop-up mode
- New: You can now tell Quicken to not create a renaming rule for specific payees when they are downloaded.
- Fixed a problem where the One Step Update Summary appeared even though no errors had occurred and the option "Show this dialog only if there is an error" was set.
- New: You can now sort the Online Payee list by any of its columns: Payee, Lead Time, or Account Number. To do so, just click a column heading.
- Improved. Quicken will now notify you when you are trying to hide an account that is activated to download transactions from your financial institution.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where scheduled updates could not be turned off.
- New: If you compare and accept transactions into your register after a download payment, there is a new button that will hide or show the transactions that you have already accepted. To hide the transactions you have already accepted, click the Hide Accepted button. When you do so, the button name changes to Show Accepted. To show them again, click Show Accepted.
- New: We have added Day Gain/Loss and Day Gain/Loss (%) columns for Employee Stock Option Grants in Portfolio View. To add these columns to Portfolio View, click Investing tab > Portfolio, then click Customize.
- New: We have added additional columns to the Maturity Dates for Bonds and CDs report: Account, Shares, Value, and Purchase Date.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the Portfolio Value and Cost Basis snapshot displayed the wrong number of securities.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the Growth of $10,000 snapshot included date range options that didn't work correctly.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the Gain/Loss 1-Month (%), Gain/Loss 3-Month (%), and Gain/Loss 12-month (%) were incorrect when subtotaling by asset class.
- Improved. We have added back the ability to change Brokerage account types to Single Mutual Fund account types. To do so, choose Tools menu > Account List, then change the setting from No to Yes for Single Mutual Fund account. Note: this option is not present if there is a cash balance in the account.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where placeholder entry transactions appeared as a blank line in the Security Detail View.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where Quicken would incorrectly suggest a category for a payee when automatic categorization was disabled.
- New: You can now proportionally allocate uncategorized money when recalling payees that use split categorization. To do so, open the Split dialog and click the Allocate button.
- New: You can now rename the payee renaming rules when editing a renamed payee in the register.
- Improved. Clicking the notes or attachment icon in the register now takes you directly to the note or attachment dialog.
- Improved. Column customization can now be set for similar registers; for example, all checking registers, or all credit card registers. To apply column changes to all similar registers: open a register, click Account Actions > Register Columns, and then click the gear icon in the lower left corner of the column list. You can either apply your changes to all similar registers, or reset all similar registers to their default column set.
- Improved. To free up limited horizontal space, the default column set for credit card, cash, asset, and liability account registers no longer includes the "Reference #" column. No change to your registers is made unless you choose to reset them to their default columns. If you do so, and then later decide that you want to restore the Reference # column: open a register, click Account Actions > Register Columns, and then choose Reference #.
- Improved. Find and Replace now finds uncategorized transactions. To do so, choose Edit menu > Find/ Replace. In the Contains drop-down, choose the blank option at the bottom of the list.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where changes were not kept when changing the reconcile state of a transaction.
- Improved. We have added back the Account Attributes snapshot in the Account Overview. To view the Account Attributes snapshot: open a register, then click Account Actions > Account Overview.
- Improved. We have added back the option to print split details when printing from the register.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the register Num column did not sort numbers correctly.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the average spending amount displayed in spending goals was different than the average spending amount displayed in the categorized spending pop-up.
Property and Debt
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where you could not edit the URL assigned to a loan payment. To change the URL for a loan payment, open the loan details dialog and click the Edit Payment button.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where Quicken would open the wrong loan when clicking Account Actions > Loan Details in a loan register.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where File menu > File Operations > Year-End Copy would copy transfer transactions to the current year data file even though they were not in the data range selected to be copied.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the Budget and Monthly Budget reports took two to four minutes to open.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where bond or CD securities didn't appear on the Bond Maturity report when entered with BoughtX or Added transaction types.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where Global Find on the Quicken Toolbar limited the number of searchable characters to 22.
- Improved. We enhanced Global Find on the Quicken Toolbar to search for securities and to be case insensitive.
- Improved. We have added back the In/Out/What's Left feature that used to be on the Planning tab. It is now a snapshot on the Home tab. To add this snapshot, click the Customize button on the Home tab, and then choose In/Out/What's Left.
- Improved. The See Where Your Money Goes section on the Home tab now has date range and account filters that match the Spending tab. To use the new filters, go to the Home tab and then click the Options menu on the See Where Your Money Goes section.
- Improved. We have added back the customization options to the Returns, Portfolio Value and Cost Basis, and Portfolio Value snapshots on the Home tab.
- Fixed. We resolved an issue where the Budget snapshot was not updating after changing the date filter.
- New: You can now sort the columns on the Projected Balances view in the Bills tab in both directions. To do so, click the column heading, and then click it again.
- Fixed. We have resolved an issue where it took two clicks of the Enter button to record a scheduled reminder from the Manage Bill & Income Reminders list or from the Bills and Reminders list in the register.
R3 Release Notes
- Fixed an issue where the mouse focus would not go to the Category field in uncategorized transactions during Compare to Register.
- NEW! Added the ability to sort your downloaded transactions by the Num field when accepting them into your register. To do so, click the Num column heading.
- Fixed a problem where the One Step Update Summary appeared even though no errors had occurred and the option "Show this dialog only if there is an error" was set.
- Resolved a problem where error OL-220 would occur when setting up an account using Web Connect.
- Fixed a bug where Renaming Rules would appear even though the preference to turn them off was set.
- Fixed a problem where Quicken appeared as though it was frozen after accepting all transactions in pop-up register mode.
- Resolved a bug where a 32-character password caused Quicken to crash.
- Fixed a case where Quicken didn't add a transaction to the register during Compare to Register.
- Resolved a problem where Quicken would crash during product registration.
- Resolved a problem where Quicken incorrectly displayed a known security as an Unidentified Security during Compare to List in pop-up register mode.
- Fixed a problem where Quicken showed a cash balance for a Single Mutual Fund account when setting up the account using Web Connect.
- Resolved a cost-basis rounding issue when recording a corporate spin-off and some, but not all, of the shares were sold.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the Enter key from moving between fields in Investment Transaction forms when the preference "Use Enter key to move between fields" was set.
- Resolved a problem where the selection of indices was not working in the Growth of $10,000 chart when certain date ranges were selected.
- Fixed a bug where the Gain/Loss % calculation was incorrect when viewing by Investment Goals, Asset Class, or Security type.
- IMPROVED! Redesigned the page layout in the Investing tab and Property & Debt > Net Worth tab for higher resolution monitors, such as 1920 X1200.
- Resolved a few screen refresh issues in Quicken.
- IMPROVED! Redesigned the layout of online status updates in the Account Bar.
- Resolved a layout problem that occurred when more than three asset allocation snapshots were added to the Home tab.
- Replaced Services tab with "Tips and Tutorials". You can come here to learn more about Quicken. You can turn on "Tips and Tutorials" by clicking View > Tabs to Show > Tips and Tutorials.
- IMPROVED! We made it easier to search for categories while categorizing transactions in the register. To do so, click in the category field in the register and start typing the name of the category you want to use. Quicken will search for what you are typing by matching either the category or subcategory name. This makes is a lot easier to find the category you are looking for.
- Fixed a problem where the Tax Schedule associated with a transfer could not be changed using Tax Line Item Assignment.
- Resolved a problem where the Tax Schedule in "Transfer in or Transfer Out" could not be changed.
- IMPROVED! Quicken now makes the delete sound when you delete more than one transaction in the register.
- NEW! A "Return to Reconcile" button now appears next to the Account Actions button in the register when you are reconciling your Quicken account to a paper statement. This will make it much easier for you to switch to the account register to make changes, and then return to the reconcile window.
- IMPROVED! Quicken now shows entered and scheduled investing income transactions when calculating the running balance in the calendar.
- Resolved a problem where merging a category with subcategories into another category did not move the subcategories.
- NEW! Added support for JPG and PNG files in check logos.
- Fixed a problem where only the upper-left portion of an image attachment would print.
- Fixed a case where Quicken didn't display subcategories correctly. Instead of displaying them as subcategories Quicken displayed them under Other (parent category name).
- IMPROVED! Redesigned the legends in the Portfolio Value and Cost Basis graph.
- Fixed a problem where columns would collapse when sorting by a column in Bond Maturity report.
- NEW! Quicken now provides a mini-report that shows you the transactions from any category you are watching in the Spending Planner. To take a look, choose Planning tab > Spending Planner. If the Categorized Spending section is not open already, click the "+" next to Categorized Spending. Under the Categorized Spending heading, click any category you are watching, or click "All Other Categories" to display the mini-report. Next, click the Expenses tab in the mini-report, and then a category name to drill down to the transactions. Enjoy!
- NEW! Quicken now allows you to set up a loan in a foreign currency. To learn how to do this, choose Help menu > Quicken Help, then search for "foreign currency" and choose the Help topic "What if I need to set up a loan in a foreign currency?"
- Fixed a bug where the Project Balances graph had the incorrect opening balance in the tool tip when there were two consecutive days of transfers.
R2 Release Notes
- Fixed an issue where securities that were sold were improperly included on the Portfolio Value report after using the File Validate and Repair feature.
- Resolved a problem where pressing the Enter key in the Security List caused Quicken to crash.
- Resolved a problem where Quicken would crash when clicking the Edit button in Compare to List.
- Fixed a defect where US Savings bonds were not appearing in the Maturity Dates for Bond and CDs report.
- Resolved a bug where Maturity Dates for Bond and CDs report showed a single cash transaction multiple times.
- Fixed a bug where Portfolio View would sort when clicking with both left and right mouse button. Sorting now only occurs when clicking left mouse button.
- Enabled the ability to download 529 account transactions.
- Fixed an issue where the File menu > File Import > Security prices from CSV file command was not active.
- Resolved a problem where the Investment Account Activity snapshot didn't update when new data was entered until Quicken was restarted.
- Improved program performance when accepting transactions during Compare to List.
- Resolved a problem where the pie chart didn't appear for Model Portfolios in Asset Allocation Guide.
- Fixed an issue where Quicken would freeze when creating a new Bill Reminder.
- Added back the functionality that shows the most recently used categories associated with the payee when entering transactions in the register.
- Fixed a sorting issue where the All Transactions register would sort by account type and account name. The account column now sorts alphabetically.
- Added six new columns to the registers.
- Improved the register columns selector. In a register, choose Account Actions > Register Columns.
- Added a hot key to open Reconcile feature. You can now use Ctrl+R key combination to open Reconcile.
- Improved the category picker for subcategories in registers.
- Resolved a problem where multiple transfers from a banking account to an investment account didn't record both transfers.
- Resolved crash that occurred when doing a One Step Update.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when closing the One Step Update Summary.
- Resolved an instance where the One Step Update Summary window was displaying even though no errors had occurred.
- Fixed an instance were selected financial institutions were not remaining selected in the One Step Update window.
- Fixed a defect where hidden accounts were appearing on the Projected Balances graph.
- Resolved crash that occurred when clicking Edit button in Compare to Register.
- Fixed a defect where newly added accounts did not appear on the Account Bar after completing account setup.
- Resolved a problem where One Step Update displayed a blank list where the financial institution list appears in the One Step Update dialog when first starting Quicken.
- Continued our user interface improvement with many new program icons.
- Improved the look and feel of a number of features, such as the Security List, Business Lists and Invoices, Growth of $10,000 snapshot, and many other dialogs in Quicken.
- Improved the ability to navigate to accounts from the Account List by enabling single click on an account name to take you to account register.
- Resolved a screen repaint issue on the Budget snapshot.
- Fixed a problem where scrolling took you to the bottom of a page when using a scroll wheel.
- Resolved an issue where experiments with Lifetime Planner What If scenarios saved the data to the Lifetime Plan.
Reports and Graphs
- Fixed a number of instances where words were clipped in the Customize Reports window.
For Quicken Canada software updates click here.
Share advice with other Quicken customers about using our products and managing your finances.
Did this article help you?
Tip: To find out which version of Quicken you are using, open Quicken go to the Help menu and select About Quicken.