When downloading transactions from your financial institution, some or most of your cleared transactions come through, but not all. You can see transactions on your financial institutions web site, but they are not observed in Quicken.
First. Understand how your bank deals with your transactions.
Some financial institutions only allow downloads to Quicken at the time your statement is ready. That is, transactions that are after your last full statement, can not download into Quicken.
Want to test this?
- Go to your bank's website and log in.
- Once you're logged in, go the page where you download transactions (transaction history).
- Attempt to download your transactions to a Quicken file.
- Can you download based on monthly statements? Or is there an option to download from Date Y to Date Z?
If you do not have the ability to specify dates and can only download by monthly statements, then your bank will only allow you to download transactions that are part of the statement. If this is the case, please download the transactions once they are grouped by statements.
Second. Make sure you are on the latest release of Quicken.
- Select Tools menu, then choose One Step Update.
- Select your account(s) then click on Update Now. If you get an error message, search our support site for the error message itself.
If you were not on the latest release (that is, if you downloaded an update), check your register for cleared transactions. If they are still not there, let's move on.
Third. Check your Quicken Preference to ensure the transactions are not being auto-accepted into the register if you're looking for them in the Online Center. Edit > Preferences > Downloaded Transactions.
Fourth. Check your Sort Order in your account. If the Sort Order was set to something other than by Date, it's possible the transactions were there but not where you thought they should be. Resetting to the default sort of Date should make it easier to see those transactions.
Fifth. Confirm the transactions haven't been renamed unexpectedly. Adding the Downloaded Payee column to the register allows you to search by Payee in order to determine if there was a problem with Renaming/Auto-Categorization.
Sixth. Look for Hidden or new/unexpected account registers, to see if the transactions were added to a register other than the one you're looking for them in - Account List (Ctrl + A) and Show Hidden Accounts.
Seventh. Reset your downloaded transactions.
- Go to the Online Center by selecting the Tools menu > Online Center.
- In the Online Center hold down the Ctrl key and click Contact Info.
- In the Refresh Online Transaction Information window choose the account you are having problems downloading a full range of transactions.
- Click on the Reset DTSTART button.
WARNING: Using this function resets Quicken's list of last downloaded transactions. This means that after this button is reset, it is possible you will download several duplicate transactions.
- Choose the earliest date of a transaction you are missing and click OK.
- Click on the Refresh button.
- Attempt to download again.
Eighth. Deactivate and then reactive your account.
- Select the Tools menu and then Account List. The Account List window opens.
- Select the account for which you want to deactivate online services, and then click Edit. The Account Details window opens.
- Click the Online Services tab.
- Click Deactivate next to the service you want to disable.
- Click Yes to the message asking if you want to disable this service.
- Click OK to the confirmation message. The Account Details window is refreshed, and the service is listed as Available.
- From the Tools menu select Account List.
- Click the Edit button on the account you want to activate.
- On the Online Services tab, within the Online Setup section, click Set up now....
- Enter the name of your bank and click Next.
- Enter your credentials, select Save this password (if using password vault) and click Connect.
Important: You should now see your account to activate. Make sure the dropdown for that account says Link. If it says Add, change it to Link and select the correct account. If you do not do this, then the account will be added as a different account instead of being linked to the existing account. Click Next to continue.