Quicken allows you to put all of your accounts in one place so you can easily see where your money is going. It just takes three easy steps.
Adding Your Accounts in Quicken 2011 and newer
- Click on Accounts on the top left side of Quicken, then click on Add Accounts down at the bottom.
- Choose the type of account you wish to add (such as Checking or Saving), then click Next.
- Pick your financial institution by searching for it or by selecting it from the list below the search box.
- Log into your bank by adding your user name and password. You can choose to have Quicken save your password if you'd like.
Note: If your bank is not on the list or prefer not to download (manually add your account), click on Advanced Setup at the bottom of this screen and follow through the prompts. If you decide to take the route, you will not need to continue with the steps below.
- Click the Connect button to download your transactions into Quicken.
- Once complete, you can either go directly into Quicken to see these transactions, or repeat the steps above to add more accounts, such as property or investing accounts.
Once Quicken is done downloading your account information, it will display a pie chart of where you have spent your money in the last 30 days. The categories are displayed to the right of the pie chart. You have the ability to drill-down into each category to view more details by double-clicking on the different pieces of the pie.
Understanding Your Account Register
Your register is a list of transactions for a specific account. To get to a specific register, select an account from your Account Bar on the left. You'll know you are in the correct account because the name is displayed at the top of the register. Here is what you can do in your register:
- Change dates
- Edit payees
- Reassign categories
- Add tags
- Set the amount of the payment or deposit
- See a running balance
- Remove and add columns
Account Actions Gear
The Account Actions gear drop-down menu (located at the top right corner of your register) is broken up between three sections
- Update Now
- Edit Account Details
- Transfer Money
- Account Attachments
- Account Overview
- More Reports
- Register Report
- Banking Summary Report
- Cash Flow Comparison
- Cash Flow Report
- Income/Expense Report
- Itemized Categories
- Missing Checks
- Current Budget
- Historical Budget
- Net Worth Report
Register Views and Preferences
- Two-line Display
- Sorting Options
- Register Columns...
- Register Preferences
- Customize Action Bar
Another great feature to your register is that you can add an attachment to your transactions, such as receipts for purchases or bank statements.
To add an attachment to a line-item:
- From your account register:
- In Quicken 2013: Select the Actions gear icon at the very top of your register (Ctrl + Shift + N)
- In Quicken 2012 and older: click on Account Actions
- Then select Account Attachments.
- Choose the type of attachment and date.
- Select if the image will be a from your computer, your scanner, or if it is currently in your clipboard (you have copied it from another location). Most of the time the file will come from your computer, where you will need to browse to its location in order to select it.
- Once the file has been found, click on Done, then Done one more time to attach it.